Thursday, February 25, 2010

Murray's Mill in the Movies



While searching the archives recently, I came across an old issue of the Hickory Metro newsletter from 1996. Much to my surprise the front page showed Murray's Mill--but it looked a little bit different...turns out, Murray's Mill was the set of a 1996 NBC movie, The Lottery. It is based on Shirley Jackson's famous short story and the screenplay was written by Anthony Spinner. You can read the story here. The movie starred Keri Russell and Dan Cortese.



Another movie filmed at the Mill was Wildflower in 1991. Also a made-for-tv movie, it was directed by Diane Keaton and featured Beau Bridges and a young Reese Witherspoon.



The Mill reopens for the season March 13th. Come visit--it's famous!

3 comments:

  1. This is astonishing. I have this movie. Had no idea it was filmed at Murray's Mill. Wildflower is based on a novel called Alice - one of my faves but possibly out of print. I really want to know if Sara Flanigan is living and why she's not writing.

    And the lottery? A terrifying story I remember from high school English. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great survey, I'm sure you're getting a great response. buy dvd power season 4

    ReplyDelete